Account Settings dialog does not re-open properly after answering No to save changes prompt

May 14, 2008 at 7:15 PM
I had created an FTP Server in the Account Settings.
I try adding one more FTP Server with same name as the Previous server which I had already created.
I get the Pop Up Error Message " Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, application will ignore error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.
An Item with the same key has already been added."

When I hit on "Quit" my Outlook freezes completely. I will not be able to do anything. Only way is to kill the process in Task Manager.
According to the error message it has to close , however it freezes.

Steps:
1) Open Outlook
2) Click on "New" Message.
3) New Message window opens.
4) Click on Package Menu.
5) Select "Account Settings"
6) click on + sign in Account settings Window.
7) Give account name same as one which is already there(same cases as it is case sensitive) and select corresponding Plugin.
8) Click Ok. An error message pops up.
9) Click Quit.
10) New Message window and Outlook freezes.
May 14, 2008 at 8:25 PM
Outlook also freezes  when Added Account is not saved for Microsoft BITS, Amazon S3, Velodoc EnterPrise PlugIN.
Steps:
1) Open Outlook
2) Click on "New" Message.
3) New Message window opens.
4) Click on Package Menu.
5) Select "Account Settings"
6) click on + sign in Account settings Window.
7) Give Account Name say MY Microsoft BITS, Microsoft BITS and select Microsoft BITS Plugin.
8) A Microsoft BITS account is created. I will not save the changes and close the Account Settings window by clicking on red cross button.
9) I get a pop up window to warn me it is not saved do you want to save the changes.
10)Click NO.
11) Window is closed.
12) Now try performing any activity on Outlook, it will be freezed.

After End Task when try opening the Account settings again after launching outlook, a pop up error message "Cannot Create Account" pops up. Click OK and you will be able to create Account.

I will check for other PlugINs also and let you know.
Coordinator
May 14, 2008 at 10:10 PM
Edited May 16, 2008 at 9:31 AM
Ganesh,

When I try to reproduce case 1 with FTP Server, At step 8 I get a message box "Cannot add new account" with OK button, not a Quit button. When I click OK, it all goes back to normal. I am not sure you have the latest version of the code which has been updated two days ago.

I have been able to reproduce case 2 with any plugin. The defect does not occur when Account Settings are opened from the file menu of the monitor form of the transfer controller. In fact AccountListView.SelectedIndices.Add(0); fails at line 341 of SettingsForm.cs if a message box has just been shown (through .NET remoting). Without going into too much details, it is a multithreading issue and it has now been solved.
May 22, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Jacques,

Just wanted to know if the above issue is fixed. According to our conversation in the new code this issue should be fixed. If I try the above case 1 steps, Outlook Freezes and I have to end the task from Task Manager.
I am still getting Quit button option.

Coordinator
May 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM
Edited May 22, 2008 at 2:24 PM
Ganesh,
I have tried reproducing this issue again without success on Windows 2003 + Office 2003 (my devt environt):
1) Open Outlook
2) New Message -> Opens new inspector
3) Package -> Account Settings (I have 3 accounts set)
4) Change host on first account
5) Click close button in title bar
6) Answer "No" to "Do you want to save the changes to account settings?"
7) Repeat steps (3) to (6) 5 times
Does not break.

There is an easy way to check if you have the correct version.
Download and install .NET reflector from http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/ (if you do not already have it).
Open <installdir>\Memba.Transfer.PlugIns.dll in reflector
Open any <X>PlugIn class (FTPPlugIn, BITSPlugIn, WCFPlugIn, ..) and disassemble the GetPlugInSettings() method;

If <X>SettingsControl is returned from a private variable like below, you need to install the latest version:
    if (_FTPSettingsControl == null)
       _FTPSettingsControl = new FTPSettingsControl();
    return _FTPSettingsControl;

If <X>SettingsControl is returned as new like below, you have the correct version and we may have a bug
    return new FTPSettingsControl();
May 23, 2008 at 1:01 PM
I could follow steps till,
Open <installdir>\Memba.Transfer.PlugIns.dll in reflector.

I am not finding PlugIn class in  the installation path. I could not follow steps from, 
Open any <X>PlugIn class (FTPPlugIn, BITSPlugIn, WCFPlugIn, ..) and disassemble the GetPlugInSettings() method;

If <X>SettingsControl is returned from a private variable like below, you need to install the latest version:
    if (_FTPSettingsControl == null)
       _FTPSettingsControl = new FTPSettingsControl();
    return _FTPSettingsControl;

If <X>SettingsControl is returned as new like below, you have the correct version and we may have a bug

My other machine which was on unicode broke down. I am trying to get it up in running. If you have steps to set outlook 07 on unicode can you please share it with me.
Coordinator
May 23, 2008 at 1:51 PM
Edited May 23, 2008 at 1:55 PM
1) Reflector screenshot at http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/DotNet/misc/DownloadFile.aspx?lngDownloadTypeId=5&lngInteger1=17428958.

2) Office is Unicode; it is just that you may not have the fonts to display the required characters on your system. Accessorily there are also the dictionaries, the grammatical rules, the text formatting and word breaking rules, .... To edit documents which are not in the language of your Office installation, you may need the Office Proofing Tools. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309360 and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179042.aspx.
May 23, 2008 at 4:36 PM
Jacques,

When I open the <installdir>\Memba.Transfer.PlugIns.dll in reflector. I am getting only,
Memba.Transfer.Plugins.dll-->Version --> 1 [neutral].

There are no folders under the 1[Neutral].

I am trying to uninstall and re install the software and check the contents. let me know your idea on this. If the software is installed correctly then the Classes should be there.
Coordinator
May 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM
Edited May 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM
In reflector, do File -> Open and select C:\Program Files\Memba\Velodoc\Outlook Add-In\Memba.Transfer.PlugIns.dll, assuming C:\Program Files\Memba\Velodoc\Outlook Add-In\ is your install directory. Then you should get what's on the screenshot.
May 23, 2008 at 5:00 PM
yes, I have followed the same steps as you have given. I do not know why there are no folders under Memba.Transfer.plugIns.dll
Let me try installing it again.
May 23, 2008 at 7:33 PM
Jacques,

I was able to get it.
The  <X>SettingsControl is returned as new like below, 
It is the same as in the screen shot which you had sent.

I am testing this on win xp and outlook 2007
Coordinator
May 26, 2008 at 7:48 AM
Ganesh,
Great! Then you have the correct version of the add-in installed. Please let me know whether you still have the issue with the account settings dialog. If the answer is YES, please post the DebugView trace to let me understand the problem.
May 27, 2008 at 2:04 PM
Jacques,

I have sent the Debug View trace for the above issue in RentACoder. I am still noticing the issue with account settings dialog.
I am sending the trace for the 1st case (FTP server).  2nd case issue is not noticed.
Today when I tried to perform the same steps as case 1, the issue was noticed once. When I performed same steps again, I was not getting the 'Quit' option. There was only 'Continue' option.
I have to understand when exactly the issue is noticed. I will update you on this.