compressed files open up with path details

May 23, 2008 at 5:28 PM
When we compress the file and send it. The receiver will open the file with the file location details from the sender machine.

Consider I have a File 'Test' on Sender  desktop.
steps to repro:

1) Add the File ' Test' from the Add/ Edit Package Editor and Compress the File.
2) Save the File and close the Add/Edit Package Editor.
3) Send the file.

At the Receiver end:

4) Reciver click on the link to open the package.
5) A pop up windows gives option either to 'Open', 'Save' or 'Cancel' the download.
6) Click on 'Open'. File is downloaded.
7) A window opens with the folder 'Documents and Settings'. Click on this folder.
8) There is Aaother folder with <Machine Name>. click on this folder.
9) There is another folder 'Desktop'. clcik on this folder.
10) The File 'Test' is under 'DeskTop' folder.

The complete path to the File 'Test' is ,
'Documents and Settings'--><Machine Name> -->  'Desktop'--> Test

If the File is in MY Documents on sender machine. The complete path to the File download is,
'Documents and Settings'--><Machine Name> -->'My Document' --> Test

Am not sure if this is how Velodoc adds the package details.
According to my understanding giving the complete path details to download the file is not a good idea. We should be able to download only the File directly.
Is this how Velodoc designed ?
May 23, 2008 at 5:56 PM
Edited May 23, 2008 at 5:57 PM
This is the way it is designed because we went into all sorts of problems with duplicate file names at different levels of the hierarchy. I appreciate it is a bit dull if you only add one file to the package editor, but try to drag and drop several hierarchies of folders with duplicate file names into the package editor and you will understand the issue. For example, drag and drop into the package editor the folder containing the source code of the project: 1280 files, 234 folders with many duplicate file names like AssemblyInfo.cs or Resources.resx.