Paused Message transfer cannot be resumed.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:54 PM
Jacques,

1)Try sending a large file say 2 GB. In the Memba Transfer controller. Pause the transfer when it is in Hash/compr.
Cannot easily pause the Hash/Compr. on first click(need to keep clicking the Pause button several times). Even when you click on Pause button it resumes automactically.
Once the Hash/Compr. has been paused the Resume button is disabled. We cannot Resume the Hash/Compr. again.

If there are any older files which were paused when in Hash/Compr. state they cannot be resumed as Resume button is disabled.

2) When in the Transfer state, it will pause on first click on Resume button.

3) If the File Transfer or Hash/Compr. has be paused to say 20%, if we resume the transfer it starts from 0% actually it should resume from 20%. Is it how it is designed?

I am sending the screenshots for the same in RentACoder.

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2008 at 10:26 AM
Edited Jun 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM
Ganesh,

Good work! we are starting to see interesting bugs.

1) Pausing during Hash./Compr. resumes automatically is confirmed: I can reproduce it. Although it is not a major bug, I am including it as a tracked issue because it is annoying and there is no reason not to fix it.

Note: I am not sure I can reproduce "Once the Hash/Compr. has been paused the Resume button is disabled. We cannot Resume the Hash/Compr. again." since I am not even able to pause it due to 1). Note that when you click the Pause button, the transfer state becomes "Pause Requested". Then the plug-in pauses the transfer as soon as it can and changes the status of the transfer to "paused" when the pause is effective. When the status is "Pause Requested", the transfer cannot be resumed because the pause is not yet effective, thus a disabled button. What I have been able to do is click many times very rapidly on the pause button and get to this state.

2) I do not understand "When in the Transfer state, it will pause on first click on Resume button".

3) Resumable uploads and downloads are a very complex subject. It depends both on the protocol and on the way the corresponding plug-in has been designed/developed. If you take the example of HTTP, HTTP does not provide resumable uploads and resumable downloads require that the server implements Http-Ranges and ETag. Additionaly, your plug-in needs to be able to issue request that benefit from Http ranges and ETag. Currently only the BITS plug-in supports "true" resumable uploads. All other plug-ins resume from the last completed transferred file. With these plug-ins, if you only transfer one file, you will resume from 0%. If you transfer two files of identical size and pause/resume at 60% or 70%, it will resume the transfer from 50%.
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2008 at 10:35 AM
There is now a tracked issue for this. Continue discussion on tracked issue at http://www.codeplex.com/velodocaddin/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=1356.