Max File size transfer

Oct 8, 2008 at 8:24 PM
Hi,

I would like to know if there is any limit for the files that can be transfered using velodoc?
Can I attach 100GB file and send it through outlook using velodoc? Is 100GB the limit or can send files > 100GB.
Is there any upper limit for attchment?

Thanks.
Oct 8, 2008 at 10:21 PM
Edited Oct 9, 2008 at 8:38 AM
Hello,

The size limit depends both on the client and on the server:
- In Velodoc Outlook Add-In, the size of a file is managed as an Int 64 (between -2^63 and +2^63-1), that is far more than 100 GB.
- If you are using the Amazon S3 driver, the max file size on Amazon S3 is currently 5GB
- If you are using Velodoc XP Edition, Velodoc Enterprise Edition or FTP Server on Microsoft IIS6, the max file size in IIS6 is the size of an Int32 (between -2^31 and +2^31-1), that is less than 2GB. I think it has been increased on IIS7. With BITS Server, the maximum upload size is 1844674407370955 bytes (1677 TB).

If you use a browser to download (or upload) files via HTTP, note that a browser like Firefox 2.0 cannot  manage files larger than 2GB (Int32 max). I am not sure about Internet Explorer.

Finally it is possible to configure a server to only accept files with a size smaller than its maximum capacity mentionned above. For example in Velodoc XP Edition or Velodoc Enterprise Edition,  you would use an ASP.NET httpRuntime section in web.config to define maxRequestLength on IIS6 and an ASP.NET requestLimits section in web.config to define maxAllowedContentLength on IIS7. By default, Velodoc XP Edition is configured to limit the upload size to 100 MB. With a BITS Server, you can configure the BITSMaximumUploadSize property in the IIS metabase. The same applies to any type of server.

I hope this helps.