Improve folder structure in zip files

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:35 PM
Hi

we have noticed that the velodoc zip files create a directory structure of the location of the original file.  so as an example, if i have a document on the desktop the recipient receives that zip file with my orignal length path C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop

Can we change this to just be a file in a zip file
Nov 21, 2008 at 11:55 AM
Edited Nov 21, 2008 at 1:02 PM
Again, thank you for this very relevant feedback.

Probably like you, I am not very found of adding the full path of files especially when you send a couple of files, but we could not come up with a better SIMPLE option which would also be compatible with complex scenarios.

We use the add-in a lot to send Visual Studio sources between developers. A Visual Studio solution is a directory structure where you have a directory per project and each project has an Assembly.cs and a Resources.resx file. So in a Visual Studio solution you may have a dozen Assembly.cs and Resources.resx files. In this case like in many other cases, you really need to keep the directory structure.

Things can get even more complicated when you add several directory structures from various locations on your computer.

In version 1.0, we have decided that the simple way to allow all these scenarios and avoid any collision consisted in adding the full path into the archive. This is not the first time we get this feedback and we will work on better options for future versions. See also: http://www.codeplex.com/velodocaddin/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=28298. Any suggestion regarding a good algorithm are welcome.
Nov 21, 2008 at 1:09 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.